Can A Massage Gun Help With Constipation (Answered)
One of the common reasons people pay a visit to their doctor is to seek treatment for constipation. However, research has shown that massage therapy can be an effective way to relieve chronic constipation.
- So Can A Massage Gun Help With Constipation?
- What Is Constipation?
- Symptoms Of Constipation
- Massage Therapy For Constipation Relief
- Additional Tips For Relieving Constipation
- When To See A Doctor
- Using Massage For Constipation
- Benefits Of Abdominal Massage
- Who Should Not Do Stomach Massage for Constipation
- Final Words
So Can A Massage Gun Help With Constipation?
There are no concrete studies to back that the massage gun is as effective as modern medical options in the treatment of constipation. But then, several studies prove abdominal massage can help with constipation.
Also Read: 6 Benefits Of Massage Gun On Stomach
What Is Constipation?
When you experience uncomfortable, difficult, or few bowel movements, you’re most likely suffering from constipation.
Mentioned below are some common causes of constipation:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ignoring the urge to poop
- Thyroid disease
- Misusing laxatives
- Not enough exercise
- Not eating enough fruits and vegetables
- Not enough water
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Spine injuries
- Brain disorders that keep your intestines from working
- Lifestyle changes like traveling
Symptoms Of Constipation
Although constipation is an uncomfortable condition, it’s neither a severe health challenge nor does it pose a death threat. For example, some people feel the need to have a bowel movement each day, and for others, it may be different. Some people can go for more than two days without passing a stool.
Mentioned below are some symptoms to help you know if you’re constipated:
- Your stomach hurts
- It hurts to pass stool
- You feel bloated
- You feel sluggish
- Your stool is hard and lumpy
- You strain while passing stool
Also Read: Can Massage Guns Help With Cellulite? (Explained)
Massage Therapy For Constipation Relief
Abdominal massage has been found to treat long-term (chronic) constipation effectively. Research shows that abdominal massage can;
- Alleviate discomfort and pains
- Reduce colonic transit time
- Increased the frequency of bowel movements
Furthermore, massage therapy helps stimulate muscle contractions, which allows people with postsurgical ileus to pass a bowel movement. Postsurgical ileus is a temporary lack of intestines movement. And this condition can cause intestinal obstruction.
Furthermore, mentioned below are tips to massage your abdomen:
- First, ensure to lie on your back. Then you should use both hands to apply gentle pressure on your stomach.
- Next, use your hands to make circles in a clockwise direction using gentle pressure. Ensure to begin at the right lower side of your stomach
- The next step is to apply gentle pressure to the inside of your hip bone with the palm of your right hand.
- Then release and apply pressure to your right side, below your ribs center, and the left side.
- Then you should switch to your left hand and use it to put pressure on the inside of your left hip bone.
- Ensure you use your fingertips on both hands to press your stomach or abdomen and pull up.
- After this, you should begin in the bottom right and move clockwise.
These steps can be repeated several times. However, be careful not to overdo these steps.
Also Read: Does Massage Really Release Toxins (Explained)
Additional Tips For Relieving Constipation
Here are lifestyle changes you can make to help you prevent future constipation:
- Make sure to drink a glass of water first thing in the morning.
- Ensure you drink caffeine-free fluids and plenty of water throughout the day.
- Always include high-fiber foods in your diet, such as vegetables, whole grains, beans, and fresh fruits.
- Ensure you indulge in stress-reducing activities, such as yoga, meditation, or listening to binaural beats.
- Try to keep fit and stay active. Do this by working out regularly. I recommend you try to swim, cycle, or walk a few times each week.
When To See A Doctor
If you go more than three days without a bowel movement, it’s a cause for concern. However, if this happens now and again, you should not be alarmed.
But I recommend you consult a doctor if you have:
- Constipation that persists for more than two weeks
- Serious stomach pain
- Sudden weight loss
- Notice blood in your stools
- Frequent constipation
- Alternate between having constipation and diarrhea and constipation
- Waves of severe cramping
- Loud gurgling noises in your stomach
Using Massage For Constipation
Drinking plenty of water, exercising regularly, and eating fiber food can relieve most people of their constipation. Nevertheless, massage therapy for constipation is best for certain people. This includes:
- Constipation with stool leakage
- Constipation with loss of bowel control
- People with brain disorders like Parkinson’s or multiple sclerosis
- People with stable spine injuries or disabilities
- People who are immobile
- Older people
Benefits Of Abdominal Massage
Abdominal massage can relieve you of some of your constipation symptoms and also help teach your bowel muscles what to do.
Here are a few benefits of massaging your abdomen when you have constipation:
- It can help alleviate discomfort and pains
- It can result in muscle contraction and relaxation.
- It can reduce the time it takes for waste to move through your intestines (transit time)
Who Should Not Do Stomach Massage for Constipation
Abdominal massage is effective for older people, people with disabilities, and those facing long-term health challenges.
However, you shouldn’t use abdominal massage for your constipation problems if you have the following;
- A swollen colon with irritable bowel syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- An unstable spine injury
- An abdominal wound like stitches or other sores
Massage gun treatment for constipation has not been proven to be effective. However, it’s possible that they could be percussion devices that can help with constipation in the future.
However, abdominal massage therapy has proven effective alongside other modern medical treatments for constipation.
Hence I recommend you consult your doctor to know if massage therapy is an excellent option to treat your constipation issues.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is a result of in-depth research on the subject matter. This article is only for informational and educational purposes, and it’s not intended as medical or health advice. Hence, I suggest you always ensure to seek the opinion of your doctor or other qualified health personnel regarding any questions that relate to health objectives or medical conditions
What to Know About Massage for Constipation
How to Massage for Constipation Relief