Massage For Swimmers (7 Questions Answered)
Professional swimmers put in enough time and effort to prepare for intense events like the Olympics.
They spend their time engaging in several strenuous swim laps in the pool each day. Hence they are equally prone to injuries, just like other athletes.
Therefore a swimmer must take proper care of his body to perform well. A massage is a treatment that helps a swimmer to be strong or healthy (physically and mentally) all through a swimming season and even beyond.
This post provides all the relevant details you need to know about massage for swimmers. Let’s get started!
What’s The Best Massage For Swimmers
Many swimmers around the world receive massage therapy to help them recover immediately after a strenuous training session.
Besides, massage therapy now forms a crucial part of athletes’ training routine.
Hence both professional and amateur swimmers should get a massage type particularly tailored for their needs.
The truth is there are many forms like deep tissue massage, which help satisfy the physical and mental demands of athletes, including swimmers.
But then, sports massage is best beneficial for swimmers. This type of massage treatment can help boost a professional swimmer’s performance and reduce their chances of suffering from injuries.
Benefits Of Sports Massage For Swimmers
Sports massage can reduce the risk of getting injured while allowing swimmers to maintain or improve their current physical and mental condition.
Below are some of the benefits sports massage can offer to swimmers:
- Regular sports massages can improve the physical posture of swimmers due to better blood flow, reduced muscle tightness, and improved mobility.
- Sports massage can boost muscle tone, improve relaxation, and promote blood circulation.
- An effective sports massage therapy will retain and improve connective tissue length and also reduce soreness
- Sports massage can help restore strained muscle fibers, reduce swelling and improve flexibility
Note: Experts recommend that professional swimmers should utilize massage therapy during a training session instead of pre-workout. However, pre-workout massage is best effective when you use it along with other warm-up modalities.
Also Read: Massage Therapy For Boxers: Vital Things To Know
Dos And Don’ts Of Sports Massage For Swimmers
Trainers and swimmers who opt to utilize sports massage in their recovery routine need to have in-depth knowledge about the ins and outs of this technique.
The effects of massage could be counterproductive when you don’t understand the dos and don’ts before incorporating them into your routine.
Kindly adhere to the instructions below
- Practice self-care techniques.
- Incorporate self-myofascial release techniques.
- Ensure to stay hydrated.
- Utilize the appropriate modalities and techniques for the preparation and recovery goals.
- Always seek recommendations from trusted professionals and experts about therapists.
- Don’t hesitate to express your concerns, pain, and discomfort with your therapist.
- Ensure your therapist knows your training and recovery needs
- Ensure the therapist has prior experience working with swimmers.
- Make sure you get relaxing sports to massage the week of the event.
- Work only with a licensed and board-certified therapist that understands the rules and regulations established about massage, as contained in the USA Swimming Safe Sport Handbook.
- Work with a massage therapist whose qualifications and license are questionable.
- Experiment with a new massage plan, technique, or therapist before or on the day of the competition
- Suffer through a painful massage session. Post-training massage sessions after swimming should help swimmers to relax rather than hurt them.
- Don’t go through a massage session if you are feeling dehydrated or dizzy.
- Receive a massage less than 48 hours before an event. If you do so, you can suffer from muscle soreness and breakdown.
Here Are Answers To 7 Common Questions
#1. How Often Should Swimmers Get Massages?
Experts recommend a minimum of one massage each month for swimmers. However, the needs of each swimmer differ. Consequently, message frequency is dependent on the mental and physical needs of a swimmer.
#2. Is Deep Tissue Massage Good For Swimmers?
Yes, deep tissue massage is good for swimmers. But many experts recommend sports massage for most types of athletes. Nevertheless, whether a swimmer opts for a deep tissue massage or a sports massage, he should receive it at least 48 hours before competing.
#3. Is Swimming Good After A Massage?
Yes, swimming is suitable for most healthy individuals after a massage. But you must wait at least 24 hours before doing any swimming or strenuous exercises such as gentle stretching moderate walking, or easy-paced swimming.
#4. Is It Good To Get A Massage Before A Swim Meet?
Yes, it’s good to get a massage before a swim meet because massages are a good supplement for your swimming regimen. It’s a good idea to engage in a pre-swim sports massage before you hit the water.
This helps to prepare your body and mind for exercise in the water. Also, ensure to let your therapist know that you want a massage for swimmers.
#5. Is Massage Good For Swimmers’ Shoulders?
Yes, massage therapy effectively treats shoulder pain by rebalancing the shoulders structure and addressing the body’s tight musculature.
#6. Where Do You Massage For A Swimmer’s Shoulder?
There are many trigger points behind the shoulder blade, and they can also become very tight. Let your swimmer lie on their side and place your arm over their head. You can make use of any moisturizer and only need to do it a few minutes at a time.
#7. How Do You Massage Water Out Of Your Ear?
First, tilt your head down, so it gets close to your shoulder. After that, jiggle or pull your earlobe gently. Then pull your earlobe up and down, then from side to side, and massage softly. You can also gently move your head towards the floor while tilting to clear the trapped water.
Also Read: Massage For Golfer (Explained)
Massage therapy for swimmers is something that should be encouraged because of the positive effects. However, it’s something that should be done with caution and in consultation with your massage therapist and doctor.
So do you think having a massage is something that can eat deeply into your budget?
If yes, you don’t have to worry anymore, as there is an affordable alternative available- the massage gun.
I strongly suggest you use the opove M3 pro massage gun because it’s affordable, effective, user-friendly, and suitable for all athletes, including swimmers.
Click here to read my review of this device.
Disclaimer:The information contained in this article is a result of in-depth research on the subject matter. This article is only for informational and educational purposes, and it’s not intended as medical or health advice. Hence, I suggest you always ensure to seek the opinion of your doctor or other qualified health personnel regarding any questions that relate to health objectives or medical conditions.