A massage gun is a recovery device that comes with numerous benefits. However, it can also cause harmful things when not used properly.
This post will answer all questions about what the percussion massage gun can cause.
Can A Massage Gun Cause Blood Clots
Yes, a massage gun can potentially result in blood clots, especially in areas around the lower legs during pregnancy. A massage gun is like a deep tissue massage, making it unsafe to use on specific areas during pregnancy.
So What’s A Blood Clot
A blood clot is a mass of blood that forms when cells, proteins, platelets, and blood stick together. A blood clot is usually created to stop bleeding when you get hurt.
Other Common Causes Of Blood Clots
Mentioned below are the causes of blood clots:
- Trauma (serious injury)
- Certain types of cancer, e.g. lung cancer
- Birth control pills
- Hormone replacement therapy/breast cancer medicines
- Some types of major surgery
- A family history of blood clots
- Prolonged sitting
- Prolonged bed rest
- Autoimmune disorders
- Some diseases like HIV and hepatitis C
Symptoms Of Blood Clots
Here are some of the symptoms of a blood clot:
- Feelings of sudden and gradual pain and swelling in your leg or arm
- Feelings of abdominal pains
- Feeling nauseous or like throwing up
- Increased heart rate
- Rapid breathing or shortness of breathing
- Vision problems
- Sudden severe headaches
- Trouble speaking
- Frequent seizures
- Pains with deep breathing
- Weakness on one side of your body
Can A Massage Gun Cause Pains
Yes, a massage gun could cause severe pain, mainly when it is incorrectly used on the wrong areas of your body. So ensure to read the device manual before using it. And also, ensure to stick to the necessary precautions stated in the manual guide.
Sometimes the pains could feel like the below:
- A dull ache
Can A Massage Gun Cause Swelling
Yes, a massage gun can cause swelling and other related issues when it’s not correctly used or used excessively.
Swelling, also known as edema, is caused by excess fluid trapped in your body’s tissues.
Other Common Causes Of Swelling:
Here are the common causes of swelling:
- Insect bites
- a rash
- Fluid retention
- hormonal changes
- kidney failure
- A severe allergic reaction
- Heart failure
Symptoms Of Swelling
Here is a wide range of symptoms of swelling caused by injuries:
- Pain in the affected area
However, mentioned below are the symptoms of the swelling if it is internal:
- Flu-like symptoms
Can A Massage Gun Cause Dizziness
Massage guns have been reported to cause dizziness in some people after using the device. However, dizziness after getting a massage is a common occurrence, and it does not call for serious medical attention.
So What’s Dizziness
According to mayo clinic.org, Dizziness is a term used to describe a range of sensations, such as feeling faint, woozy, weak or unsteady.
Other Common Causes Of Dizziness
Below are some of the common causes of Dizziness:
- Heart muscle disease
- A sudden drop in blood pressure
- Anxiety disorders
- Decrease in blood volume
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Ear infection
- Anemia (low iron)
- Excessive exercise
- Motion sickness
When To See A Doctor About Dizziness
Even if dizziness is not a life-threatening condition, you should consult your doctor when you experience dizziness alongside the following:
- A headache
- A Neck ache
- A head injury
- A high fever
- Hearing loss
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty speaking
- Chest pains
- Numbness or tingling
- Continuous vomiting
- Loss of consciousness
- Droopiness of the eye or mouth
Can A Massage Gun cause Miscarriage?
Percussion devices like massage guns can increase the risk of miscarriage during the first trimester. Hence it’s advisable to avoid using it during this period. Nevertheless, you can use the massage afterwards on certain areas while pregnant.
Other Causes Of Miscarriage
Here are some of the common causes of miscarriage:
- Chromosomal abnormalities
- Hormonal irregularities.
- Maternal age
- Uterine abnormalities.
- Incompetent cervix.
- Lifestyle factors such as drinking alcohol, using illegal drugs and smoking
- Disorders of the immune system
- Thyroid diseases
- Severe kidney disease
- Congenital heart disease.
- Severe malnutrition
- Diabetes that is not controlled.
- Certain medicines, such as the acne drug isotretinoin (Accutane®)
- Group B beta strep.
Note: it’s important to mention that there’s no solid evidence to prove that stress or sexual activity can result in miscarriage.
Symptoms Of Miscarriage
Research shows that miscarriage mostly happens before the 12th week of pregnancy. Here are some symptoms that might indicate you could suffer of miscarriage:
- Tissue or fluid passing from the female reproductive organ
- Cramping and pains in your lower back or abdomen
- Vaginal bleeding or spotting
Can A Massage Gun Cause Nerve Damage
Yes, using the massage gun without precautions on delicate areas can cause injuries that can damage your nerves.
According to disabilityhappens.com, researchers at the Arizona May Clinic have found that excessive focal pressure to the neck and shoulder area can damage the spinal accessory nerve, which was not previously recognized as a cause of injury to the nerve.
Symptoms Of Nerve Damage
Here are signs of nerve damage:
- Tingling or numbness in the hands and feet.
- A feeling of buzzing sensations
- Sharp pains in your arms, hands, and feet
- Weakness of muscle in your arms or legs
Can A Massage Gun Cause Bruising
Yes, massage guns can cause bruising when you use the device on a specific muscle for too long. This can overwork the muscles and possibly result in bruising.
You will be likely prone to bruising if you:
- Have liver disease
- Have Cancer
- Have relatives who bruise easily.
- Suffer from a deficiency in vitamin c or vitamin k
- Take medication to stop clothing or thin blood
- Suffer from thrombocytopenia ( low blood platelet count)
In recent years, a massage gun like the Opove M3 Pro has served as a cheaper and more effective alternative to massage therapy. Despite the benefits the device offers, a massage gun can still be harmful if it falls into the hands of a novice.
Hence we recommend you read the user manual to help you know how to use the device correctly to get maximum benefits.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is a result of in-depth research on the subject matter. This article is only for informational and educational purposes, and it’s not intended as medical or health advice. Hence, I suggest you always ensure to seek the opinion of your doctor or other qualified health personnel regarding any questions that relate to health objectives or medical conditions.